Saturday 17 January 2015

Creating the digipak

Front Cover

1) I decided on using this photo for the cover of the digipak, however I wasn't fond of the colours used as they didn't represent anything in particular, however, the black and white was present in the video for the flashback scenes, so I proceeded to make the image black and white and used the toggles to balance the tones (as seen below). 


                           

2) The next thing I did was add the font. Following my font research and the feedback I received from my questionnaire, I decided on a large font that stretched across the album cover in the simple "Perpetua Titling MT" font. 



3)I then added, a band across the right of the front cover that read "Platinum Edition" in order to add some authenticity to the album. 




I used the shape tool to create a rectangle and then created a new layer to add the text, I then merged them together in order to skew them diagonally on the front cover












4) Next, I used the "Rectangular marquee tool" to create a rectangle in which I would copy and paste the "Explicit Advisory" sticker, again this is used to authenticity and is also featured on Beyonce's album as the disc does feature topics of explicit and sexual nature that is inappropriate for younger audiences.





Middle of digipak

1) For the digipak I first created a template on which I would create both sides of the digipak.

2) I then had to cut a circular image from the front cover image to use for the CD art, Beyonce's CDs usually have the same image from the front cover on the actual CD, so I took this approach when I created my CD.




3) I decided following the feedback from my questionnaire to insert a lyric book into the middle of my digipak, so I used the same image from the front cover and the cd itself and used the same font to write "lyric book" as opposed to Beyonce. 



I used the pen tool to scribble an imitation of Beyonce's signature on the lyric book as this is often used on items inside the digipak to make the buyers feel they are getting something personal from the artist themselves.

4) Lastly I added a sleeve in which the lyric would be held using the shape tool and skewing it so it fitted diagonally across the digipak.

On the sleeve I wrote "From Beyonce, with Love x" using a font which mimicked a handwritten note, again this was to add a personal effect the digipak and also to use the space as the digipak felt slightly bare. 

Back Cover

1) Like the front cover I first blurred the background using the blur tool, and then proceeded to add the black and white, toggling the settings so it matched the front cover perfectly. I chose this picture as it features Fatou in the background, which relates to what the actual music video is going to be about.





2) I then added the track listing, in a row which is how Beyonce's self titled album's track listing is displayed. I used white for this, as it stood out the most against the background and it was the colour I used for the rest of the digipak so it showed consistency throughout the product.


3) I inserted text at the bottom regarding the album rights, companies involved in the production of the album etc. The barcode was also inserted, using an image from Google images. The barcode adds the authenticity to the product as all real products feature a barcode enabling them to obviously be bought.


The back of the digipak did not take too long to create as I wanted to continue with the minimalistic style of the digipak in general.





No comments:

Post a Comment